Chloe – Hughes (Part 3)

Hughes Residential College LogoThe residential colleges at the University of Central Arkansas are known for the range of diversity of its students. For new student’s, coming to college is a new experience because of a new range of people that they are going to be exposed to.

I loved being in a new environment with so many people from different backgrounds. I learn things from my fellow residents that I would have not learned from a teacher in a classroom. We all have different backgrounds and stories that show how we have become who we are and make us all understand that the only way to go from here is up.

The residential colleges are particularly for entering freshman whether they are international students or nontraditional students that may be in the armed forces, the residential colleges are definitely a melting pot for differing cultures and ideas.

One of my favorite things to do at Hughes is to listen and have conversations with those who are from differing backgrounds from me. The residential master here has a “coffee Shoppe” every other Sunday and it has been a great way to meet new people and have conversations that you can walk away from with new friendships that will last a life time.

College is definitely about opening up to new people and new experiences. All you have to do to learn something new is go downstairs and spend some time in the lobby with your fellow residents. Learning does not just take place in a classroom at UCA. It happens all the time by meeting new people and sharing stories. I have learned much this year including the importance of branching out of myself and challenging my beliefs.

Residential Colleges are truly the place to be and to learn.

Speak Your Mind

*