Michael – Hughes (Part 2)

Michael1

Me teaching clarinet at Clinton’s Beginning Band Day

Hey guys, its me MP again! So the skinny on what it means to be in college and what you should walk out of college on your resume.

College= Education + Social Life + Lack of Sleep +Food of Some Sort + Dash of Stress

So each of these components have a lasting effect on your integrity. This word works in two ways here, your quality as a student and person in the concepts of honesty and morals and being whole and undivided, in reference to your health.

When I left home for college I got the usual 7-8 hours a night and dinner was a meal I never wanted to miss. Three years later, I do good to get 4-6 hours depending on the project due the next day. As far as dinner goes I go to see my friends first and then for the food.  Your probably like….. “this what every college person says, all nighters, bad food and the internet goes down at the worst possible time”….. we all say that because its TRUE. More importantly I mention food and sleep first because they are the most important thing you will worry about in college. A lot of students are very flexible their freshman year and “elastic” at least for the first semester. Your “structural integrity” (your body’s integrity) is tested in the fall and recovered over the month of vacation “christmas break.” Then you only get one real break in the spring! People do not get sick because we live in such close proximity (okay they do but not thats not the point here). Students get sick because they are worn down because they are not eating right or sleeping enough!

Okay enough on the health rant. So your moral compass and how people are going to see you when you get out of college. How are you going to build your character, humble yourself, build leadership skills, and work on your moral integrity???? Well it all depends on what you want to get involved in here at the good ole UC of A. (Cue Be Our Guest from Beauty and the Beast (don’t judge you will fall back in love with Disney in college)).

“Ladies and Gents, its with our deepest pride and greatest pleasure that we welcome you to UCA. And now we invite you to have fun, let us pull up a Bear as the S. O. S. presents your future. Be our students! Be our Students!  Put our campus to the test Put your Bear Card ‘round your key, chain And we’ll provide the rest. Soup or more Hot hors d’oeuvres Why, we only live to serve Try the gray turf It’s stupendous. Don’t believe me? Ask the Coaches! They can yell, they dance After all, Folks, this is school. And the purple here is never second best Go on, unpack your bags Take a stroll and then you’ll….. Be our Students“ (Remember I’m a band person not a choir person, I write the music not the lyrics).

Me during a summer as an RA for Upward Bound

So being a student here at UCA means a lot of hard things other than classes, for example: Registered Student Organizations (RSO’s), Greek Life, Residential Colleges, athletic events, intramural sports, Resident Hall Association (RHA), SGA and SAB events (Student Government Association and Student Activities Board), Concerts, and Performances; “this is short folks.” With all of these organizations they get involved with community and  volunteer and hold fundraisers for different charities and foundations. The important part of life here at UCA is to have fun, but make it rewarding.

Stay plugged in for my next post.

MP

Comments

1. Donna Guthrie says

Very well spoken nephew.

Speak Your Mind

*