Laney – STEM

Laney1

My first day as a mentor! Move-In Day 2011.

So, first things first: My name is Laney and I am a Senior Chemistry major at UCA. I have been living in a Residential College for nearly three years and I have been a Mentor/Advocate for the past two years. As a Mentor/Advocate I have been very involved in outreach activities as well as a focus within the college to help incoming freshmen grow and learn and have the best possible experience that they can have.

So, I’ve been living in STEM for nearly three years now. STEM has been an actual entity on the UCA campus for…nearly three years now. I’d say we’ve gotten to know each other pretty well and that I probably know just as much or more about STEM than anyone else you might ask. Hopefully I can find a way to sufficiently express to you how AWESOME STEM and other Residential Colleges are as well as convince you that they could be a fantastic fit for you as well. I mean, VERY FEW juniors and seniors actually live on campus. Sure, I am a little different from most, but also STEM is a pretty awesome place that I’m sure you could grow to love as well.

Alright, I know what you’re thinking: ‘Laney, what the heck is STEM?!?!?!’ I will now address this question. Our official name is STEM Residential College. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. So, STEM is a place to live that hosts various math and science related outreach programs and that focuses on people having these majors. However, you could simply be interested in one of these things while being any other random major and we’d still welcome you in. STEM is a family. And, if you ask me, we’re the best family around. But, if you are interested I would be happy to tell you about all of the other Residential College options that UCA has to offer.

Okay. I’m not going to sugar coat this. College isn’t easy. I’m sure you’ve heard this. But I made all A’s in high school without really trying and it just doesn’t work that way here. HOWEVER, you can make choices that make things easier and less stressful for you here. Like…

Live in a Residential College. Period.

Residential Colleges were set up so that success and happiness are closer to your reach.

1) You have classes IN THE BUILDING. Some days you wake up and you don’t want to go to class. Or maybe you hit snooze a few too many times. It makes it very hard to convince yourself that it’s too hard/not worth going to class when it’s downstairs and it’s with people you see every day.

2) Your study groups will practically make themselves. When your classmates live next door and you see them all the time and you walk back from class with them…study groups are magically and simplistically made, which brings me to…

Laney2

Ssshhhh!

3) NERD NODES! Once your magical study group has been made, you can mosey on over to one of the two nerd nodes that are on your floor. Nerd nodes are rooms equipped with white boards, markers, comfy couches/chairs as well as tables and normal chairs. I’ve spent a lot of late nights studying with friends in those nerd nodes. And, they’re nice and quiet and secluded [unlike the library, but don’t tell anyone I told you that]. But what happens when your study group gets stuck and it’s nine o’clock and you’d really like some help before tomorrow morning, when your professor might eventually email you back?

4) Advocates to the rescue! We’re in the classroom most nights, just sitting here waiting for you to come down and ask for help (which is actually what I’m doing right now). And there is a pretty good chance that one of us has had the same class and survived. And we’d love to help you. [The classroom is also a good quiet place to study.]

But why should you care about these things?

1. You only get these perks if you live in a Residential College.
  2. They are crazy beneficial to your academic success. (Trust me. I know. I’ve been there.)
  3. Because joining a Residential College was the best choice I’ve made since deciding to come to UCA. And I want you, whoever you are, to enjoy all of the amazing things that come with joining a Residential College as well.

So, if this intrigues you and/or you’re thinking Residential Colleges sound like a good idea…then you should definitely keep your eyes peeled for my next post, where you can learn more about STEM and other Residential Colleges! Thanks for reading!!!

Love,

Laney

Comments

1. This is a great post Laney! Looking forward to more science blogging in the future?

• Laney Mason says

Thanks, Dr. Slaton! And, definitely. I had never blogged before, but this has been pretty fun thus far.

2. Michael Mason says

So, what is UCA again?

I kid. Great blog post, and I’m proud of my cutest, smartest niece in the world, and all your accomplishments. And I fully expect you to delete this.

3. Alvin Mason says

Very nice. Glad you are enjoying your STEM experience. Love you.

4. Regena Mason says

I really enjoyed your blog and look forward to hearing more about your experiences! I very thankful you found just the right fit for you! Love you!

Speak Your Mind

*