Daniel – STARS

Daniel. Freshman. Marketing Major. STARS Residential College.

Dan2

Me

I learned essential lessons in high school but it was also in high school that I discovered the easy joy of procrastination or that missing class would leave my GPA untouched.  The methods by which I did well then condemned me to early failures in college and these naïve habits could not be overcome alone.  Without the community of a Residential College my first semester would have been disastrous.

I am a member of the STARS Residential College, the framework of which was drafted to support the various fields of the arts and of music and theatre. Though my studies are in business I am not an outsider here. I have found a network in which to thrive among the most creative minds of UCA’s youngest class. The STARS gives me access to a myriad of resources designed to advance my academics. A classroom and study area within our building. The friendship of older Advocates eager to share their experiences and course knowledge.  And yet I failed my first exams. What had been a formula for success in high school was instantly rendered useless against the higher standards of my education at UCA.

GPA in college is vehemently, critically important. If I fail to perform well in my courses I lose scholarship money. Failing a class means I might not be here next semester. I had to learn how to succeed in college quickly before irreversible damage was done. The STARS gave me what I needed to restore my grades to where I needed them. I found a connection I desperately depended upon. Living among students who learn in similar styles meant successful study groups with friends on my floor. Old high school habits began to dissipate as my Residential College eased me into a more mature standard of academics.

Today I am comfortable with the work load and rigor of a college class. I can handle the challenge of learning new fields but I’ve learned I can’t do it alone. A network and community is essential to my success.  I have everything that I need, in great abundance, offered to me through the STARS Residential College.

Speak Your Mind

*